It has been two more weeks in class - four classes, so I am behind in my reflection posts.
Last week, Mr Science set up a training crime scene. Using the skills they had learned through the fingerprinting professional development, two groups had to collect evidence from the crime scene. Before being allowed to enter past the caution tape, they needed to discuss and come up with plan, which each group did eagerly. There was a table of resources for them outside the crime scene.
They discussed they needed their lab coats and name tags, they needed the shoe covers so they would not contaminate the scene. They needed to photograph where all the evidence was. They needed to document and log each piece of evidence. I was impressed with the level of seriousness with which most of the class approached the situation. They were focused and very aware of following some clear, agreed upon procedures. They collected their evidence and sent it away to the labs for testing.
The next day, they had a front line officer come in and talk to them about how the Police secure crime scenes. The students were so engaged and interested, asking many questions. At the end, a small group of 4 took the Officer to view their crime scene and they talked through how they collected evidence, asking his opinion on what they did.
I had not been 'using' Mantle that week, it had some feels of it - with the training scene, but I was not in the zone, still feeling rather deflated by the ones who had not engaged. And then we moved into our next stage.
Students were asked to apply for a workshop in a skill they wished to specalise in. I just asked for some evidence of research in their application, and they could submit this in anyway they wished. They could apply for blood splatter analysis, interrogation, trace analysis or crime scene photography. I then had several students come up to me asking if they could write this as a CV, and if this was like a job application. I realised that I had missed an opportunity here to keep the company alive, because it was for the students who had engaged. I had let the few who did not engage overshadow the majority who were fully committed to the company.
This was a great reminder for me to reflect on the positives as well. Looking back, I've focussed on the challenges and what my solutions could be. Which is fine, but I needed also to keep looking at what was occurring for the learners who were engaged in the process and what they also needed.
They did write wonderful application letters and have started on their workshops this week. This is where some inter-dependency on each other will then come into play when they face their next crime scene. The company is not dead, it's there - I just wasn't looking in the right place and next week will bring this back to the fore for the students who are loving being members of 'The Company'.